PS: Re: [SciPy-user] install problem on Mandrake-8.2

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at polycnrs-gre.fr
Wed May 22 14:09:27 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 22 May 2002 17:44, eric wrote:

> We want to figure out what's going on with builds on Mandrake, so I almost
> hesitate to suggest this, but have you tried the grabbing the RH 7.2 binary
> tarball of the latest CVS (built last night)?  You can find it here:
>
> http://www.scipy.org/site_content/download_list
>

> If you unpack it in your site-packages directory, it might work on Mandrake
> -- Mandrake and RH are supposed to be kissing cousins aren't they?  That
> said, I spent 3 days getting weave to work around Mandrake bugs, and the
> fixes are pretty convoluted.   That platform does seem to have some
> unpleasant idiosyncracies.

This works: untarred the stuff in ~/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages
and happily running scipy.test(9) :-)

I will try to follow Pearu's direction's tonight. BTW: RH72's gcc
is still good old lousy gcc-2.9.66 isn't it?
Can you give me the compiler switches for RH72 Python's package?

I will also cleanup my Python installation, discovered libpython22.a
alongside a libpython22.so :-(

Gerard