[SciPy-user] compiler & lapack issues

gvermeul at polycnrs-gre.fr gvermeul at polycnrs-gre.fr
Sun May 26 07:17:39 EDT 2002

Pearu wrote:

> > > I just downloaded LAPACK patches from
> > >
> > >   ftp://netlib2.cs.utk.edu/lapack/patch/src/
> > >
> > > and compiled linalg with it. And I don't get this error. I even put a
> > > print statement into dgesdd.f to see that it was actually used (indeed,
> > > it was but in different places, not after the "zswap:n=3" message).
> > > Can you determine which test in linalg/tests/test_*.py actually fails?

test_svd fails (I commented out almost everything except for this test, but
impossible the get rid of the zswap:n=3" message). No failure if I also
comment out test_svd.

> > > Also, where can I get Mandrake lapack.src.rpm's to see what they have
> > > done?

I will integrate the latest patches in my lapack. Maybe a patch has been
superseded by another.

BTW, a small glitch in build_flib.py (it is fairly dead code):

    def find_lib_directories(self):
        lib_dir = []
        match = r'Reading specs from (.*)/specs'

        # works I think only for unix...
        exit_status, out_text = run_command('g77 -v')

I would replace ('g77 -v') with ('%s -v' % self.f77_compiler)

Request: I would like to be able to do something like:

python setup.py build fc-compiler=/usr/local/bin/g77

or

python setup.py build --fc-compiler=g77-2.95.3

Actually, there is less need to tweak the C compiler than the
Fortran compiler. Would it not be nice to specify a Fortran
compiler when running Python's configure (--with-fcc=...)?
Now I have the choice of hardcoding a specific g77 in SciPy's
distutils scripts or of relying on dynamic links.

Gerard