[SciPy-user] Debian package(s) -- preliminary

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 22 22:52:17 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:29:21AM +0100, RA wrote:

> See:
> http://www.scipy.org/Members/RalfA/packages/Debian-woody-DEB/

Hi Ralph,

I've just downloaded the diff files and am building packages against
current CVS sources of SciPy and F2PY.

The immediate problem I've run into is in the build-depends line:

  dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: python-dev (<< 2.2)

I don't understand how you can build python2.2-* packages with
this in the build-depends line.  (?)

There are a number of other things that don't match the Debian python
policy or that lintian complains about.  I've corrected all these for
scipy-core, and it now builds lintian-free packages.  I'm starting on
F2PY now.

So now what shall I do with the corrected packages?  The URL above
suggests that your packages are intended for woody.  Is that true?  My
modified source packaging is targeted at Debian "unstable" (aka sid),
as it must be in order to upload to Debian.  Do you want the changed
diff to put on the scipy.org site?  Does Joe Reinhardt want to
coordinate this?  Shall I just upload them to Debian myself?
(Personally, I'd rather not be "the" Debian maintainer for these
packages, but I'm willing to help out from time to time.)

-Steve