[SciPy-user] SciPy, IPython, XEmacs & Windows

Robert Ferrell ferrell at diablotech.com
Mon Aug 18 19:14:24 EDT 2003

I'm using Python on W2K.  So far I've been using Cygwin, and XEmacs, and
now IPython.  I'd really like to use SciPy.  However, I notice that the
SciPy binary distribution for W2K/Cygwin is quite a bit behind the native
W2K distribution.  What's more, I'm starting to work with folks who would
rather not have to have Cygwin installed.  So, I'm looking at using the
native W2K binaries for Python, SciPy etc...

Is there a way to run the native W2K Python & SciPy (as installed from the
cool Enthought mega-installer) with IPython in an XEmacs shell?  I can't
seem to get this to work.  It's not an IPython issue, in the sense that I
can't get just plain W2K-native python to run in an XEmacs shell.

Also, am I likely to get myself in lots of trouble if I have both a native
Python and a Cygwin Python on the same machine?

thanks,
-robert