[SciPy-user] Question about ATLAS usage in SciPy

Fernando Perez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Wed Jan 8 17:58:54 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have a question concerning the use of atlas static libraries. I built
atlas on my system as per their standard instructions, resulting in a set
of static libraries (this is on a RedHat 8.0 machine). I put these in
/usr/local/lib, and ran ldconfig.

When I start the scipy build, it correctly seems to detect atlas:

root[scipy]# python setup.py build
atlas_info:
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib']
    include_dirs = ['/usr/local/include']

/usr/bin/python
/usr/local/installers/python/scipy/scipy/linalg/setup_atlas_version.py
build_ext --inplace --force
/usr/bin/python -c "import atlas_version"
ATLAS version 3.4.1

However, my system _also_ has dynamical versions of blas and lapack
provided by redhat in /usr/lib:

root[lib]# ls /usr/lib/*blas*so*
/usr/lib/libblas.so@    /usr/lib/libblas.so.3.0@
/usr/lib/libgslcblas.so.0@
/usr/lib/libblas.so.3@  /usr/lib/libblas.so.3.0.3*
/usr/lib/libgslcblas.so.0.0.0*
root[lib]# ls /usr/lib/*lapack*so*
/usr/lib/liblapack.so@    /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3.0@
/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3@  /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3.0.3*
root[lib]#

My question is: is the scipy build process smart enough to link the static
atlas libraries, or will the default behavior of the compiler (dynamic
linking) slip through? After going through the work of building/installing
atlas, I don't want to end up with scipy using the stock unoptimized
blas/lapack for everything.

This question also extends to f2py: if I wrap a simple fortran code with
f2py on this system, will the linking pick up the atlas versions or will
the resulting .so module end up using the dynamic (unoptimized) versions
provided by redhat?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,