[SciPy-user] CPU-time in Ipython

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Thu May 29 13:02:26 EDT 2003

Nils Wagner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Finally, I have installed IPython via cvs.
>
> Again, the question comes up, how to measure the CPU-time which is
> required to solve the
> eigenvalue problem.
>
> A small example is appreciated
>
> from scipy import *
>

> w, vr = linalg.eig(A,B)

In [10]: size=100

In [11]: A=RA.random((size,size))

In [12]: B=RA.random((size,size))

In [13]: timing(1,linalg.eig,A,B)
Out[13]: 0.10742200000000002

In [14]: size=500

In [15]: A=RA.random((size,size))

In [16]: B=RA.random((size,size))

In [17]: timing(1,linalg.eig,A,B)
Out[17]: 23.265625

 From the docstring:

In [18]: timing?
Type:           function
Base Class:     <type 'function'>
String Form:    <function timing at 0x81c37d4>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /usr/local/home/fperez/code/python/IPython/genutils.py
Definition:     timing(reps, func, *args, **kw)
Docstring:
     timing(reps,func,*args,**kw) -> t_total

     Execute a function reps times, the elapsed total CPU time in seconds. This
     is just the first value in timings_out().

You'll need to import timing and friends first, they live in IPython.genutils.

Best,

f.