[SciPy-user] compute wave speed

Robert Ferrell ferrell at diablotech.com
Tue Oct 14 19:06:44 EDT 2003

Can anyone suggest an algorithm, or SciPy code, that can be used to
calculate wave speed?  I have a scalar field that is a function of space
and time.  In practice, the data is a list of Numeric arrays, one array
for each time.  The data may be 1, 2 or 3 dimensional.

There is a perturbance moving through the scalar field.  I want to compute
how fast the perturbance is moving.  I have this notion that this must be
something that signal processing folks know how to do, although I have no
justification for that notion.

In any case, does anyone have a suggestion for how to compute the speed
(and direction?) of the wave?

Thanks,
-robert