[SciPy-user] ... object has no attribute 'zgelss'

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Fri Feb 13 10:23:30 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, H Jansen wrote:

> Many Lapack routines can't be found when I do:
>
> import scipy
> scipy.test(level=1)
>
> For instance:
<snip>
> ... << more of the same, all related to lapack subroutines >>
>
> When I do "nm liblapack.a | grep zgelss" code for "zgelss_";

??? So what is the result then? Are zgelss_ and others defined or not?

> likewise
> with all other routines. I'm using ATLAS-3.6.0 and my liblapack is
> complete (appr. 6.8 Mb, routines added from CLAPACK).

CLAPACK??? Unless CLAPACK provides symbol names with '_' suffix, you
should complete ATLAS liblapack.a with Fortran LAPACK.

> Apparently,
> there's an interface mismatch between ATLAS and scipy
> (SciPy-0.2.0_alpha_200.4161).
>
> The scipy source builts with the command
>
> 	python setup.py build build_ext `pkg-config atlas --cflags --libs`
>
> resulting the linalg shared modules to be linked as
>
> 	-L/opt/src/math/numerical/matrix/atlas/current/lib/Linux_P4SSE2
> -llapack -lf77blas -lcblas -latlas -lg2c

I suspect that scipy setup finds different atlas/lapack from you system
than that you specify with `pkd-config`. Try building scipy as follows

  rm -rf build
  export ATLAS=/opt/src/math/numerical/matrix/atlas/current/lib/Linux_P4SSE2
  python setup.py build

HTH,
Pearu