[SciPy-user] distributed computing

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 4 13:23:54 EDT 2004

H Jansen wrote:
> I want to develop a complex, real-time scientific computing application
> on a 4-node (4x2) multiprocessor (4 dual-processor boards). What is the
> best distributed computation model that I should use: message-passing
> (MPI), client-server computation agents, threads, ... ? Has anyone some
> suggestion? Thanks.

Keep in mind that if you use a threading model, you'll be bitten by the Python
GIL (Global Interpreter Lock).  Basically it means that as long as you are
running inside pure python code, only one thread runs at a time.  Your C
extensions can release the GIL, so with a bit of planning the problem is
manageable.  MPI has python wrappers, so that's an option as well.

Best,