[SciPy-user] scipy_distutils documentation

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Oct 14 17:41:22 EDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, tom fogal wrote:

> Hi all, we've got some fortran code wrapped via f2py that we're
> probably be going to be adding to and using in a multitude of projects.
> I'd like to make a python package out of the sources, for ease of
> building / upgrading / use.
>
> Thus I'm trying to figure out how scipy_distutils works so I can use
> that to build the package. I can't seem to find any documentation on
> it, on the website or otherwise. Does anybody have a guide to setting
> up a project to use scipy_distutils perhaps? Or maybe there is another
> build system I should be looking into?

There exist no document as of yet that fully describes how scipy_distutils
extends Python distutils.

- However, there is a section in f2py users guide that gives a basic
example when dealing with Fortran sources and .pyf files:

http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/usersguide/index.html#using-scipy-distutils

- Take a look also at the document that describes how scipy_distutils is
used in scipy, see section "File xxx/setup_xxx.py" in

   http://www.scipy.org/development/developscipy.txt

- Next see examples in scipy_distutils/tests directory that demonstrate
using scipy_distutils when having Fortran 77 and Fortran 90 sources, SWIG
files, as well as when sources (of any type like .pyf files, fortran
files, C files, etc etc) are generated during a build command.

- scipy_distutils has a number of undocumented but very useful features
used in the setup.py files of scipy subpackages, study these files.

If you have any specific questions about using scipy_distutils, let us
know. This is probably the best way to get scipy_distutils documented
eventually.

Pearu