[SciPy-user] mid-size outerproduct too big for memory

Thomas Davidoff davidoff at haas.berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 24 23:08:53 EDT 2005

I tried to get the outerproduct(a,b) where a is a 23,297 by 15 matrix
and b is a 15 element row vector.  This led to a memory error.  This is
a pretty small dataset for empirical economics - is there a way around
this?  Will I ever be able to do something like 1 million by 100 or is
it back to Stata for me?
I don't think the issue is other stuff in the program because nothing
should be eating a lot of memory.  I noticed I get the same problem in
command line python just trying a 100,000 by 100 matrix and a 1 by 100
row vector.
I am on a new G5 PowerMac with lots of new memory installed.

--
Thomas Davidoff
Assistant Professor
email:	davidoff at haas.berkeley.edu