[SciPy-user] scipy can't find Numeric header files during install

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Aug 24 00:19:11 EDT 2005

Yaroslav Bulatov wrote:

>I'm trying to install scipy with --prefix=~/usr option
>
>I've installed Numeric and headers went to " ~/usr/include/python2.3/Numeric/"
>But now when I install SciPy by doing "python setup.py install
>--prefix=~/usr", it says
>
>Lib/cluster/src/vq_wrap.cpp:563:33: Numeric/arrayobject.h: No such
>file or directory
>
>How can I tell it to look in "~/usr/include/python2.3/Numeric/" for
>Numeric headers?

Good question.  I'm not sure exactly how the include directories are
found.   You may need to install Numeric first with the same prefix (do
you have a python installation with that prefix?)

But, you could try some things.

Doing...

python setup.py --help config

I got the message

Global options:
  --verbose (-v)  run verbosely (default)
  --quiet (-q)    run quietly (turns verbosity off)
  --dry-run (-n)  don't actually do anything
  --help (-h)     show detailed help message

Options for 'config' command:
  --compiler           specify the compiler type
  --cc                 specify the compiler executable
  --include-dirs (-I)  list of directories to search for header files
  --define (-D)        C preprocessor macros to define
  --undef (-U)         C preprocessor macros to undefine
  --libraries (-l)     external C libraries to link with
  --library-dirs (-L)  directories to search for external C libraries
  --noisy              show every action (compile, link, run, ...) taken
  --dump-source        dump generated source files before attempting to
                       compile them
  --fcompiler          specify the Fortran compiler type

usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: setup.py --help-commands
   or: setup.py cmd --help

So, I suspect that

python setup.py --prefix=~/usr config --include-dirs
/usr/include/python2.3 install

might work.

You might have to run the build command first and then the install
command.

Good luck,

-Travis