[SciPy-user] scipy on XP isnt happening -- and: concerning confusions

Randewijk P-J <pjrandew@sun.ac.za> pjrandew at sun.ac.za
Tue Dec 13 10:34:38 EST 2005

It is one package to (i) wrap the win32 API in python and ii) to use
python to interface to any win32 COM (ActiveX) component and (iii) it
includes a usefull editor (my default choise) as a bonus... but it is
not needed to run scipy...

see:

http://www.python.org/windows/

and the sf download site:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78018

> I always have trouble finding the binaries.  scipy_core is at:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&pac
> kage_id=6222

Bookmark also:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&release_id=22
3264

Your one webpage stop for Numarray, numpy and scipy_core...

see: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=27747

> [aside:  a few things have confused me over that past few
> weeks.  One is
> the above-mentioned difficulty in finding the binary installers.
> Another is the similarity of the names "scipy" and "scipy
> core"  and the
> occasional use of "scipy" to mean the combination of the two,
> and my own
> use of the word "scipy" when I really mean "scipy core".   I don't
> suppose it's advisable to change the names now, but as the dust
> settles,  a clear paragraph or two on the scipy home page, with clear
> pointers to the appropriate files.   Personally, I'd vote to see the
> names changed ... Maybe take the "sci" out of scipy core,
> since it has
> application beyond scipy.  NuCore?  I don't know.]

scipy's core used to be Numeric, a.k.a. numpy, not to be confuse with
numarray, a bit confusing...

Now scipy's core is "scipy core", a little bit less confusing... :)

Regards,

Peter-Jan