[SciPy-user] what's wrong with radom.multivariate_normal

jaonary at free.fr jaonary at free.fr
Thu Dec 15 09:23:32 EST 2005

Hi all,
Here I am again with yet another scipy usage problem :-). I'd like to generate a
sample of multivariate_normal random variable. Before, I used numeric with
RandomArray. This worked well, but the resulting array was misformed. There was
an extra comma at the end of each row something like [1,2,]. It's a problem for
me because I need to put the result in a function that expect a scipy array as
input.
After, some google search I see that there's a funcition in scipy.random that
sample different rv. When I try to use the one for the multinomial rv I get
this error :

data1 = random.multivariate_normal([0,0],[[0.5,0],[0,0.5]],[10])

Traceback (most recent call last):
    data1 = random.multivariate_normal([0,0],[[0.5,0],[0,0.5]],[10])
  File "mtrand.pyx", line 837, in mtrand.RandomState.multivariate_normal
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'singular_value_decomposition'

What's up ?

Thanks for your help

Jaonary