[SciPy-user] fft numerical precision

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:53:30 EST 2005

I have run into this as well.  1e-16 seems large to me for double
precision.  Robert can you explain this a bit more please.  Is there
an IEEE spec or something that specifies how much of the 64bits is for
exponent and how much is for the mantissa (I think that is the right
word)?   I was playing with some FORTRAN code and it seems like there
was a big difference with complex vs. double complex.  It seems like
1e-16 was the magnitude floor of complex and double complex was
better.

Ryan