[SciPy-user] Eigenvalues for bandstructures problem...

Paul Jefferson jefferph at xsmail.com
Thu Feb 24 09:02:42 EST 2005

Hi,

I have been using the linalg module in scipy (as well as the
LinearAlgebra module in Numeric, and the Linear_Algebra module in
numarray) to calculate the eigenvalues of a 4x4 hamiltonian matrix that
calculates semiconductor bandstructures. A variable k is cycled through
changing the elements of the matrix and the eigenvalues are obtained
for each value of k. Each band is defined by one eigenvalue (0,1,2 or 3
in the returned array) for all k. On plotting the bands as a function
of k. I noticed that the eigenvalues swap over at certain values of
(+/-) k (best seen in the attached figure). I was wondering if anybody
knew of this problem using the linalg package? (I don't have the same
problem with octave (which I think also uses atlas)).

If anyone can throw any light on this problem it would be much
appreciated.

Best Regards,

Paul Jefferson.