[SciPy-user] Re: [SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Purchasing Documentation

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Oct 4 18:23:55 EDT 2005

Alan G Isaac wrote:

>I also plan to ask our library to purchase the book, but
>I am concerned that your statement that multiple users each
>need their own copy might mean a library purchase is
>forbidden.  I assume it did not mean that, and that you
>just meant that making multiple copies is restricted.  (Our
>library supports electronic book check out.)  Ruling out
>library purchases would, I think, be a costly mistake for
>many reasons, which I can list if you are interested.

A library purchase is fine.   If that how a single copy is shared.  I'll
make that more clear.  But, really, if multiple users need to use it at
the same time, then the library should purchase several copies.

>Finally, I agree with Tim that seven years is too long and
>at the price I'd hope for a paperback copy.  I think
>a better strategy would be two years copy protection, with
>an updated edition every two years.  (But then I am not
>writing the code!)  T

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm experimenting with the right combination
of total price and total time so feedback is welcomed.  I want to
encourage people who can really afford the book to spend the money on
it.   What is the "right" time/$$ combination that will encourage this.
I'm willing to shorten the time and come down on the total price.  They
are set so I cannot increase them.  But, there is no problem with
lowering them.

I could also support the idea of a cheaper total price 1st edition with
a need to spend for the 2nd edition again.  Thanks for the feedback.

>he basic concept is really nice, as
>long as it does not make it harder for you to
>- fully document your code,
>- smile on the free documentation that emerges, and
>- keep your sunny disposition.

Don't worry, I'm not banking my future on this little experiment, so I
won't worry about what other people do.   In fact, as John Hunter
inferred, I would be thrilled by more contributions however they come.
I just want to see more people use Python for scientific computing, and
am trying some things out to help it along.

My only question about writing "free" documentation, is that it just
seems rather wasteful to spend time writing free documentation when you
can set free the documentation by spending a little money instead.   If
you think I'm charging too much (either in $$ or time-delay), then
continue to give me feedback.     I am interested in what works.

-Travis