[SciPy-user] SciPy with gcc4 and gfortran on OS X

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Sat Apr 8 17:07:52 EDT 2006

 >Robert
> The scipy-gfortran.patch that Zach provided adds extra_compile_args=
> ['-O'] to
> the all of the mach files regardless of what compiler is compiling
> them.
>
> I'm also wondering about Windows Fortran compilers which may try to
> mimic MSVC's
> /slash /style /arguments.
Pearu added a more sophisticated patch to the SVN that passes a '--
noopt' argument to config_fc, instead of the more crude job that I
had initially done with forcibly passing '-O' to the compiler. So
that's good. It's still for all compilers/platforms, but at least it
won't be passing overtly wrong arguments to non-gfortran compilers.

 >Pearu
> When I compiled blas sources with gfortran and disabled ATLAS (export
> ATLAS=None; export BLAS=None; export BLAS_OPT=None; export
> BLAS_SRC=/path/to/blas/sources/)

Hmm, I've been using the Apple-supplied optimized whatever that's in
their VecLib, so I haven't bothered configuring or compiling any blas
or atlas sources. I do get the following warning on scipy.test():
> WARNING: cblas module is empty
> * If atlas library is not found by numpy/distutils/system_info.py,
>   then scipy uses fblas instead of cblas.

Should I try anything in particular to see about tracking the
problems down on my box? Maybe tell scipy to not use VecLib or
whatever (how?) ?

Also, I'll try this on a G5 when I get into work on monday, to see if
things are different on those.

Zach