[SciPy-user] which parallel programming package?

Brian Granger bgranger at scu.edu
Mon Apr 24 17:55:40 EDT 2006

The current state of Python wrappings for MPi is less than ideal.  At
one point I was keeping track of each implementation, but there are so
many now (pympi, pypar, scientific python, mmpi, mympi) I can't keep
up - and new ones appear every so often.  Why are there so many?  I
think it is because there has never been one really good solution that
discouraged others from attempting a new one.

But for what it is worth, I do know someone that uses PyPar for real work.

> The development branch of IPython now has some support for parallel
> computing.  An overview of the new design is at
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/NewDesign
> http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/wiki/NewDesign/ParallelOverview

The parallel features in the IPython chainsaw branch focus more on
allowing parallel computations to be done interactively within
IPython.  This approach is not necessarily orthogonal to using MPI,
but it is different.  It really depends on your needs.  While there is
a working prototype in the chainsaw branch, it is still under heavy
development and the docs and wiki may not reflect the current state of
affairs.

Brian

--
Brian Granger