[SciPy-user] Confusing BLAS/LAPACK situation on Mac OS X

Brian Granger bgranger at scu.edu
Sat Jan 28 15:28:41 EST 2006

Hello all,

Thanks so much for all the work that has been going on with scipy/numpy.  I have some questions/confusions about BLAS/LAPACK on Mac OS X.  Everyting seems to build find.  Apple's Accelerate framwork is picked up by numpy/scipy.  But when I do a scipy.test I see things like:

WARNING: cblas module is empty
-----------
See scipy/INSTALL.txt for troubleshooting.
Notes:
* If atlas library is not found by numpy/distutils/system_info.py,
  then scipy uses fblas instead of cblas.

and
WARNING: clapack module is empty
-----------
See scipy/INSTALL.txt for troubleshooting.
Notes:
* If atlas library is not found by numpy/distutils/system_info.py,
  then scipy uses flapack instead of clapack.

Thus, It looks like the Apple supplied cblas and clapack libraries are never used, even though they are found at build time.  What is the current status of using Apple's cblas and clapack?  Can I use them from within scipy/numpy?  How?

Thanks

Brian

Brian Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics
Santa Clara University
bgranger at scu.edu
Phone: 408-551-1891
Fax: 408-554-6965

This message scanned for viruses and SPAM at SCU (MGW2)