[SciPy-user] fancy indexing and +=

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:43:26 EDT 2006

A. M. Archibald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to use fancy indexing for ordinary
> (non-sparse) arrays. On reading, it's clear enough what is meant:
>
> a = arange(3)
> a[[1,1,2]]
> -> array([1,1,2])
>
> But when writing it's not so clear what should happen:
>
> a[[1,1,2]] = array([1,2,3])
> -> array([0,2,3])
>
> All right, the assignment a[1]=... has been done twice, so I only see
> the effects of the second. Fair enough. But:
>
> a[[1,1,2]] += 1
> -> array([0,3,4])
>
> That is, a[[1,1,2]] += 1 is equivalent to
>
> a[[1,1,2]] = a[[1,1,2]] + 1
>
> and not
>
> for i in [1,1,2]:
>     a[i]+=1
>
> Is this really intended? It's surprising, it seems like that forces
> numpy to make a copy, and it leaves me with the question of how to
> implement the second without a loop...

We've gone over this before on the numpy-discussion list. Given the way that
Python implements augmented assignment, there is no way for the array object to
know that you wanted to do some kind of loop. Python implements that statement
as something equivalent to

   tmp = a.__getitem__([1,1,2])
   tmp.__iadd__(1)
   a.__setitem__([1,1,2], tmp)

There is no place to implement the kind of loop that you want to see.

Nor should we. According to the reference manual, augmented assignment methods
should be implemented such that

   x += y

is nearly equivalent to

   x = x + y

with the exception of possible in-place modification of x.

   http://docs.python.org/ref/augassign.html

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."