[SciPy-user] NumPy Newcomer Questions: Reading Data Stream & Building Array

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 11 12:48:03 EDT 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Andrew Straw wrote:

> Actually, with the sophisticated dtypes (datatypes) now in numpy, you can
> now store strings and floats in the same array. However, you solution
> sounds sensible and simpler than creating such an array, so you may prefer
> to carry on.

   Thank you, Andrew.

   Thinking more about the process, I decided that writing the parsed and
processed stream into a sqlite3 table is the better approach. This gives us
permanent storage of the digital images of each scanned paper form so they
can be compared if a data audit is required.

   Also, it is easier -- for me, at least -- to write the SQL select
statements to calculate column averages grouped by the two string values. It
is these average values that are to be inserted into a 2D array.

Rich