[SciPy-user] random numbers in scipy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 12:24:49 EDT 2007

Giovanni Samaey wrote:

> As a side remark: I find it confusing to have a numpy.random and a
> scipy.stats module (in which stats does not allow to set seeds).

They are two different things. scipy.stats has many more things in it. All of
its random number generation capabilities (only part of what scipy.stats does)
use numpy.random.

> Do
> both use the Mersenne Twister?

Since scipy.stats uses numpy.random, yes.

> Furhtermore, you can ask random numbers
> both directly from the numpy.random module, and from a RandomState object.

I've already explained why this is the case.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco