[SciPy-user] skew Gaussian distribution

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 23 14:21:16 EDT 2007

Ah, then I may be able to help you in two ways.  First, my Google search
turned up:

http://azzalini.stat.unipd.it/SN/

Visit the "very brief account" link thereon, but also note on the main
page the passage titled "A pioneer" which hints at a possible "physical"
basis for these distributions in nature; I didn't dig any deeper than
that, but it seems worthwhile to assess whether the family of
distributions he is discussing might "properly" represent your
experimental population.

Second, I used to work for an Astronomer/Applied Optics Engineer, and
was thus exposed, albeit superficially, to physical derivations of
empirical optical particle count distributions; I didn't learn enough to
help you, but he probably could - if you're interested, I can forward
you his email, or if your reticent about making a "cold" contact, I can
forward your email to him to see if he thinks he can help.

DG