[SciPy-user] Efficient "windowing"

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 6 11:58:43 EST 2007

Hello,

You'll want to look into scipy.ndimage.

Definition:     scipy.ndimage.maximum_filter(input, size=None,
footprint=None, output=None, mode='reflect', cval=0.0, origin=0)
Docstring:
     Calculates a multi-dimensional maximum filter.

     Either a size or a footprint with the filter must be
     provided. An output array can optionally be provided. The origin
     parameter controls the placement of the filter. The mode parameter
     determines how the array borders are handled, where cval is the
     value when mode is equal to 'constant'.

It handles several different boundary conditions, and you can give it
a "footprint" mask to just select 4- or 8-connected neighbors for
each pixel. There's also a generic_filter that will call whatever
function you want for each pixel+neighborhood.

In the context of maximum filtering, if you want to just ignore the
boundary condition, just use mode="constant", cval=-numpy.Infinity so
that the filter ignores pixels outside of the image.

Zach