[SciPy-user] time series: Python vs. R

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed Dec 12 19:49:20 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 01:35:40AM +0100, Tim Michelsen wrote:
> Where would you see the advantage of using Python when analysing time
> series over R? Where is R (still) stronger?

Full integration with other tools. With Python you can get very good 2D
plotting, 3D plotting, web service, network abstraction layer, numerical
methods, ...

I use Python in situation where I need a large variety of different
tools. I can indeed agregate different programs throught pipes, shell
calls, .... I've done it before, I am much happier with Python and being
able to put all this in a consistant language rather than a patchwork.

Obviously your demands depend on what you do. However in the long run
there are a strong usecases for all-Python packages, or
well-interface-to-Python packages to implement the different operations
needed in scientific computing.

Cheers,

Gaël