[SciPy-user] Mathematica Element-wise Multiplication

Johann Cohen-Tanugi cohen at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 17 02:49:38 EST 2007

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

> 2007/12/17, Johann Cohen-Tanugi <cohen at slac.stanford.edu
> <mailto:cohen at slac.stanford.edu>>:
>
>     thanks for these precisions, David. Reading it, I still come to think
>     that it is a potential source of confusion to let a "row array" have a
>     transpose or T method, that essentially does nothing.
>

> In object oriented code, this can happen often, but it is not a
> problem. It does what you want : inverse the axis, even if there is
> only one axis.
hmmm...... okay... What I wanted was to transpose a 1D array into a
vector, or vice-versa, with the linear algebra behavior in mind. I
understand that numpy does not follow this, but I cannot believe that
this behavior *is* what everybody wants! Tom's initial email was
symptomatic, and Stefan's response, with the proposal to use the T
method even more so!

Assuming that this natural linear algebra could be retrieved when, and
*only* when, the array is 1D, I do not see how such an implementation
could break codes that depend on it, because I don't see why someone
would call 'a.T' just to have 'a' again.... But it is probably my lack
of imagination.
Anyway, enough of this. I am sure the developers know better than me...

cheers,
Johann