[SciPy-user] no linalg module and failed check_integer test

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 15:47:33 EST 2007

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> I just installed scipy from svn and I am having some problems.  The
> most vexing is that I can no longer load the linalg package, at least
> I can't do anything with it.  For example:
>
> Python 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)] on darwin
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'linalg'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'linalg'
>
> I didn't notice any errors during the installation.  I know this isn't
> a lot of information to go on, but does anyone know what the problem
> is?

Don't bother with pkgload. Just import scipy.linalg.

> Secondly, and this might be related, when I run
>
> scipy.test(1,10)
>
> I get the error shown below.  Could this be the cause of my linalg problem?

> ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/special/_cephes.so,
> 2): Symbol not found: ___dso_handle
>   Referenced from:
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/special/_cephes.so
>   Expected in: dynamic lookup

No, it's different. Exactly what versions of OS X (version number and Intel or
PPC), gcc, gfortran (also where you got it from), Xcode do you have installed?
You might need to install the latest version of cctools from here (AFAIK, the
best place to get it):

  ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/cctools-590.36.dmg

That said, I've never installed it on my MacBook, and I've never had this problem.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco