[SciPy-user] Any Books on SciPy?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Feb 28 12:45:06 EST 2007

Andres Gonzalez-Mancera wrote:

>I agree that there is a huge void in proper Scipy documentation which
>is essential for broader adoption. I know you can always go to the
>source files but this is not something everybody will do. Although the
>Documentation has been growing over the past year we're still missing
>some central 'official' documentation or at least tutorial.
>
>While I'm on the subject, I bought Travis' book early last year. I
>understood that we should have received updates as they became
>available. I never heard or received anything. Have there been any
>updates in the past year or was I left out of the loop? The reason I
>ask this is because I understand there were substantial changes to
>numpy in the road to 1.0. Are these changes documented anywhere other
>than the developers mailing lists?

The current version of "Guide to NumPy" is very complete.  There are a
few editing and typographical changes needed, but that is it.

I sent updates to everyone who I have an email adress for in December.
If you did not receive it then I don't have the right email address for
you.  Please let me know and we will get it fixed (I'll send you an
update right away and you'll be set to receive the final update in
April/May).

Thank you so much, everybody, for all of your support.   I have received
approximately 1000 orders so far over the past 18 months which has
literally saved my skin and made it possible to continue working on NumPy.

I'm even more enthused that the number of downloads of NumPy 1.0.1 has
reached 30000.   We are also making inroads with the Python developers
and uf all goes well should have a working array interface in Python 3.0
and Python 2.6

Best regards,

-Travis