[SciPy-user] NaN's in numpy (and Scipy)

Vincent Nijs v-nijs at kellogg.northwestern.edu
Sat Jan 6 17:14:00 EST 2007

It may be relevant to note that 'isnan' only seems to work with floats. If
you change Pierre's example a bit, mask creation doesn't work as I might
expect. If you create the array as follows

>>> x = N.array([1,2,N.nan,4],dtype='int16')

or

>>> x = N.arange(4)
>>> x[2] = nan

Then x = [1,2,0,4] and isnan(x) = [False,False,False,False]

It might be convenient if an array would be automatically up-cast to float
is an nan is present.

Vincent