[SciPy-user] What it the best way to install on a Mac?

joris at ster.kuleuven.ac.be joris at ster.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jan 31 08:18:03 EST 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 01:27, Robert Kern wrote:

>Learn to build from source. Because of the dependency on FORTRAN runtime
>libraries, this is the lowest-hassle method.

This may be true at the moment, but I hope this will not be the general
philosophy for the future? Having to build from source may scare off potential
numpy/scipy/matplotlib users... Yesterday someone said that he was trying to
install scipy from source for about 2 weeks now. This does not look good for
someone who is contemplating whether to use numpy/scipy/matplotlib or not.

It's not that I demand other people to make easy-to-install packages, but I
think that we're heading in the wrong direction if we don't even think that
easy-to-install packages are really necessary and that installing from source
works just fine.

Perhaps Robert didn't mean it as I put it, but I just wanted to express my
concern.

J.