[SciPy-user] What it the best way to install on a Mac?

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Wed Jan 31 23:52:47 EST 2007

Thanks for all the comments. I've already downloaded Chris's package
and will see how that goes--this isn't a high priority at the moment--
just planning ahead.

I have nothing but respect for you guys who make all of this happen,
and I'm not trying to start a flame war. (I've unintentionally done
that before, if not on this list, then on another, by suggesting that
the installation process should be easy.)

First, I have installed a number of programs from source and it's
usually a pain in the ass. If all that's required is one cycle of tar-
cd-configure-make, that's OK by me, but it's not usually that easy,
it seems. In the OS X world, it is customary that all of those
convenient installation instructions such as were provided elsewhere
in this thread to be codified into an installer.

(Pedantic comments follow--sorry.) On OS X, there are two kinds of
installation methods (for mainstream software, that is). One is a
single drag-and-drop operation from a disk image to the package's
final destination. (Apple's "package" is a directory that acts like a
double-clickable application program.) The other way (more
appropriate for a lot of the open source stuff, probably) is an
automated installer that "just works" and performs any necessary
operations and then puts any number of files wherever they need to
go, leaving a receipt file in a special place to aid uninstalling.
Even installation from source could be wrapped up into such an
installer.

There are a great many very smart people who would benefit from using
Python and its accessories in a technical computing environment but
who have no inclination (in fact, a great disinclination) to install
from source. Many of these folks use Macs and simply won't stand for
a difficult installation because it's not the Mac culture to do so.
And let me tell you that "difficult installation" for a Mac user is a
low bar indeed.

I would guess that four out of five technically-oriented Mac users
would turn and run if they were considering using Python and its
friends for their technical computing needs and encountered
instructions to install from source. Fortunately, Chris's installer
seems to be the answer. By the way, Chris, if you haven't done so
already, you might post a notice over at http://www.macresearch.org/.
I think it's a pretty new site but they passed the 10000-registered-
user mark some time back and the rate of news postings has increased
a lot lately. Also, a notice to Apple's ADC page about the installer
would probably get some notice because they send e-mails to all the
ADC folks every month or so with links to open source software.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.

Jerry