[SciPy-user] pynetcdf crashing on Python 2.5

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 18 19:17:14 EDT 2007

Robert, sorry, you're right, this isn't a NumPy issue, but it
manifested itself when I tried to build NumPy. I built Python 2.5 (I
thought successfully), and then when I tried to build NumPy 1.0.3 I
got the error:

    ImportError: No module named _md5

I googled this left and right, and it turns out that when I built
Python 2.5, some module (hashlib?) didn't get built, possibly because
it's expecting some particular version of SSL, and I happen to have a
different version. Python 2.5 is working for me, but I can't build
NumPy because it depends on "_md5" which I believe is dependent
on "hashlib".

I'm still trying to figure thins out. I would be great if I could
have NumPy bypass this somehow, because I don't think there's
a fix for this on the Python 2.5 end.

--Mary