[SciPy-user] Issues with TeX symbols and font changes

Kacey A. intel.g33k at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:44:53 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I've spent more time than I care to share trying to remedy this, but it just
doesn't seem to be working... So long story short, I'm trying to insert a
special symbol in my axis label, so I type the following:

[1] xlabel = (r"Wavelength ($\AA$)")

...in order to receive the symbol for angstroms (an "A" with a circle above
it). Problem is... whereas the rest of my plot is in whatever the default
Scipy plot font is (Tahoma, perhaps?), the stubborn angstroms symbol is in
Times New Roman-esque font, which is bothering me to no end. I've attempted
just changing the font of the entire font by using

[2] font = {"fontname":"Times New Roman"}
[3] xlabel = (ur"Wavelength ($\AA$)", **font)

...but unfortunately that does nothing to affect the font of the axis
tickmark labels (i.e. the numbers along the axes) -- so while my axis labels
(excluding the angstrom symbol) and plot text (i.e. text(x,y,string)) might
be in the font set via command [2], the axis numbering will *still* be in
the default (i.e. Tahoma).

For what help it's worth, I'm running OS X (10.4.11) and Python 2.5.1,
although I'm not 100% certain of what version of Scipy and Numpy I have
installed... (I *think* I'm running Scipy 0.3.2). I'm also using TextMate to
type and run my scripts.

Thanks so much for any help in advance! I really love SciPy, but if there's
really no feasible workaround for this... I might just have to use a
different package altogether. Thanks again.