[SciPy-user] New cluster package

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Wed Feb 13 16:05:03 EST 2008

R. Padraic Springuel wrote:
> I've written a new package of cluster analysis algorithms and was
> wondering how I would go about submitting them to be included in scipy
> (i.e. to replace or add to the current cluster package).  The package
> can be downloaded here:
>
> http://www.umit.maine.edu/~r.springuel/FOV18-000CCFE8/cluster.zip
>
> in case anyone is interested in looking it over.
>
> Also, as I'm thinking about it, I used some of my personal statistics
> functions in writing the above package.  Thus, in order for cluster to
> be added to scipy, those statistics functions would have to be added too.
>
> http://www.umit.maine.edu/~r.springuel/FOV18-000CCFE8/Statistics.py.zip
>
> Some of them probably look familiar as similar functions already exist
> in numpy/scipy, but I've added some unique features to them that my
> cluster package takes advantage of.
>
> Where do I go from here?

We love contributions, but there is still some logistical work that must
be done which we need help with if you want to add your code to SciPy.
Basically,  you can create a ticket and attach the files (or put links
to them) in the ticket (on the Developer Trac pages for SciPy).   It is
easiest if the files are done in the form of a patch to current SciPy.

Changes to SciPy functions requires some discussion.  The addition of
new functions is easier, but may still require discussion.

The other approach is to create a scikit which you distribute and
maintain separately from SciPy.   BSD-like licenses are prefered in
scikits as much code that will go into SciPy is being staged in scikits.

Good luck and thanks for your work.

Best regards,

-Travis O.