[SciPy-user] Portability problems (on Solaris)

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Tue Jul 8 11:14:36 EDT 2008

> > 2. The Sun ForTran compiler doesn't like the "END" syntax
> >    used in linalg/iterative -- for example
> >    "END SUBROUTINE sSTOPTEST2" fails but "END" on its
> >    own works (a shame, since the first syntax is nicer).
> >    This applies to all the ForTran files in that directory.
>
> Isn't that standard Fortran-77? If it isn't, I'll change it. If
> it is, I am going to have to insist on not supporting such
> broken compilers.

I did a quick search for "Fortran 77 standard" and came up with
the following, which suggests that the syntax is just "END" without
extra characters but AFAICT doesn't explicitly forbid the latter.

  http://www.fortran.com/fortran/F77_std/rjcnf0001-sh-11.html#sh-11.14

> The docs are old and wrong. scipy.sparse does require C++.

OK, thanks. I'd be happy to update that paragraph (is it just
sparse that needs C++?) if there is some wiki page for editing
documentation like NumPy has? In the meantime I'm trying to get
a working C++ compiler installed (seemed for a moment like I
was finally almost finished building stuff...).

Cheers,

James.