[SciPy-user] Automatic MATLAB to scipy/numpy/pylab conversion

Hoyt Koepke hoytak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 03:24:06 EDT 2008

I know I'm a little late to the main discussion, but FYI there is a
project, pym, which claims to do some conversion:
http://code.google.com/p/pym/  It's only available from svn, and
there's no claim about how well it works, but it might be a good
starting point.  I believe it's MIT licensed, so no issue there.  Plus
the authors might be good contacts.

--Hoyt

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Joe Harrington <jh at physics.ucf.edu> wrote:
> Automatic conversion of at least the boring stuff is crucial.  No
> matter how educational rewriting your code may be, if you have 100,000
> lines of tools and utilities to convert, you generally can't.  Our
> IDL-based group has made good use of i2py, which may at least provide
> some educational examples for converting MATLAB, if not a usable
> framework.  The general thing is to covert what is easy, and at least
> flag what is difficult.  It doesn't do a mapping of function names to
> function names or anything like that.  Here's the URL, hope it helps.
>
> http://software.pseudogreen.org/i2py/
>
> If you do a general parser approach, it would be useful to do it in
> such a way that the front end can be ripped out and modified or
> replaced with one for another language.
>
> I've added a section on the scipy.org wiki under Topical Software for
> conversion programs.  When yours is ready, please put in a link there.
>
> --jh--

Hoyt Koepke
UBC Department of Computer Science
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hoytak/