[SciPy-user] Tutorials at Scipy 2008

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu May 29 22:44:22 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Travis Oliphant and myself have signed up to coordinate the tutorials
sessions at this year's SciPy conference.  Our tentative plan is
described here:

http://scipy.org/SciPy2008/Tutorials

but it basically consists of holding in parallel:

1. A 2-day hands-on tutorial for beginners.
2. A set of 2 or 4 hour sessions on special topics.

We need input from people on:

- Do you like this idea?

- If yes for #1, any suggestions/wishes?  Eric Jones, Travis O and
myself have all taught similar things and could potentially do it
again, but none of us is trying to impose it.  If someone else wants
to do it, by all means mention it.  The job could be split across
multiple people once an agenda is organized.

- For #2, please go to the wiki and fill in ideas for topics and/or
presenters.  We'll need a list of viable topics with actual presenters
before we start narrowing down the schedule into something more
concrete.

Feel free to either discuss things here or to just put topics on the
wiki.  I find wikis to be a poor place for conversation but excellent
for summarizing items.  I'll try to update the wiki with ideas that
arise here, but feel free to directly edit the wiki if you just want
to suggest a specific topic or brief piece of info, do NOT feel like
you have to vet anything on list.

Cheers,

Travis and Fernando.