[SciPy-user] Understanding numpy array operations

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 16:39:36 EST 2008

OK, here's a shot:

n=5  # Pretty obvious, set n=5

A= reshape(zeros(5*3*n), (n*n,3))*1.0
# Start from the inside out.  zeros(5*3*n) give you a 1D array
# (not a matrix) of zeros 0.0 that has 75 0.0's. The reshape changes
# it to an array that is 25 rows by 3 columns (a 2D array). It is all
# multipled by 1.0 (which doesn't really change things in this case)
# and given the name A as a reference

for j in range(n):
   for i in range(n):
      A[i+n*j] = i*u + j*v
# This is a double loop, but I suspect there is something wrong or missing
# What are u and v?  The indexing on A is for returning an entire row, but
# it will go beyond the bounds of A.  I can't figure this one out. Sorry.

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.