[SciPy-user] PPC 10.4 scipy installation problems

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 22:27:35 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Sean McDaniel
<sean.m.mcdaniel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Numpy and scipy import without problems, but for scipy, the the test fails
> with a segmentation fault...

Hi Sean,

Sorry for the problems you encountered. The good news is that those
problems are most likely build problems. First, which version of numpy
and scipy are you using ? I assume you are using numpy 1.2.*, since
you need nose, but is scipy 0.6 or the svn version ? scipy 0.6 is a
bit old - there is no higher release, but 0.7 is about to be released
(it is a matter of days), and I think it is safe to assume the svn
version is actually more stable than 0.6 at this point.

> --snip---
> ImportError:
> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/integrate/_odepack.so,
> 2): Symbol not found: _s_stop
>   Referenced from:
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/integrate/_odepack.so
>   Expected in: dynamic lookup

s_stop may indicate that you built this module with g77 instead of
gfortran. You should try rebuilding scipy from scratch (e.g. removing
the build directory in scipy source tree and the install directory),
and make sure you don't use g77 at all. You can for example log the
build and grep for any g77 reference in the log.

If you still have problems, please save the build log so that we can
take a look at it for more details information,

David