[SciPy-user] Scipy fails to build in Mac OS X 10.5

Mannucci, Anthony J anthony.j.mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 20 05:57:40 EST 2008

Yes, I backed off of 2.6. I now run 2.5. I figured out how to convert back. It was fairly easy. A Google search provided plenty of help, e.g.
See http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/uninstall.html
and
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-March/432284.html

I just did a rename of the "Current" link in the /Library/Frameworks area. OS is 10.5.5.

I had problems installing the entire SciPy suite. I need basemap, a matplotlib toolkit that requires the latest matplotlb. So, the matplotlib package at Pythonmac.org was not recent enough. That's what I've used in the past.

I could not seem to install matplotlib without error. I tried following the instructions to install from source, but to no avail. I could not get the egg install to work either. At one point, the build was looking for things in /Developer/... which struck me as very odd. Libraries were not being found, etc. Perhaps I made some installation mistakes with the dependent libraries.  I gave up. (In summary, in the past I've had great success with the pythonmac packages, but that's not an option now due to basemap). I also tried the "SciPy superpack", but that did not work. My FORTRAN compiler is gfortran.

I then went to the Enthought distribution which is working. I installed basemap on top of that. I also added pydb. Future editions will ship with basemap, I've heard.

-Tony