[SciPy-user] Computational Economics with SciPy

Guilherme P. de Freitas guilherme at gpfreitas.com
Fri Feb 6 18:19:50 EST 2009

Actually it is being shipped already. Mine arrived today from Amazon!
I'm a econ graduate student trying to do the computational assignments
in Python, and these resources seem *very* helpful. Especially when
none of your professors or classmates ever used Python before, so you
have nobody to ask for help.

I don't know what's the policy for what should and what should not be
linked on SciPy's website, but I think these resources should
definitely be linked there (notably the "Cookbook" section and the
"Topical Software" section).

Best,

Guilherme

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Peter Skomoroch
<peter.skomoroch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just stumbled across a new book by John Stachurski using scipy which will
> ship later this month
>
> Economic Dynamics: Theory and Computation
> John Stachurski
> MIT Press, 2009
> http://www.amazon.com/Economic-Dynamics-Computation-John-Stachurski/dp/0262012774
> http://johnstachurski.net/book/book.html
>
> There are some nice tutorials using scipy here as well:
>
> http://johnstachurski.net/lectures/index.html
>

>> Economic Dynamics: Theory and Computation is a graduate level introduction
>> to deterministic and stochastic dynamics, dynamic programming and
>> computational methods with economic applications.
>>
>> Topics
>>
>> Programming techniques
>> Basic analysis (real analysis, metric spaces, fixed points)
>> Deterministic dynamic systems
>> Finite state Markov chains
>> Finite state dynamic programming
>> Continuous state stochastic dynamics