[SciPy-User] [ANN] For SF Bay Area residents: a discussion with Guido at the Berkeley Py4Science seminar

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Fri Nov 6 12:17:27 EST 2009

On 2009-11-06 06:18 , Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Fernando Perez<fperez.net at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> if you reside in the San Francisco Bay Area, you may be interested in
>> a meeting we'll be having tomorrow November 4 (2-4 pm), as part of our
>> regular py4science meeting series.  Guido van Rossum, the creator of
>> the Python language, will visit for a session where we will first do a
>> very rapid overview of a number of scientific projects that use Python
>> (in a lightning talk format) and then we will have an open discussion
>> with Guido with hopefully interesting questions going in both
>> directions.  The meeting is open to all, bring your questions!
>
> Video of the event:
> http://www.archive.org/details/ucb_py4science_2009_11_04_Guido_van_Rossum
>
> Slides: http://fperez.org/py4science/2009_guido_ucb/index.html
>
> A few blog posts about it:
>
> - Guido: http://neopythonic.blogspot.com/2009/11/python-in-scientific-world.html
>
> - Jarrod: http://jarrodmillman.blogspot.com/2009/11/visit-from-guido-van-rossum.html
>
> - Matthew: http://nipyworld.blogspot.com/2009/11/guido-van-rossum-talks-about-python-3.html
>
> - Me: http://fdoperez.blogspot.com/2009/11/guido-van-rossum-at-uc-berkeleys.html
>
> Attendance was excellent (standing room only, and I saw some people
> leave because it was too full). Many thanks to all the presenters!

 From the silent majority who lurk here, many thanks to you Fernando for
setting this up (and for IPython).  It is wonderful to know that the
concerns and achievements of scientific computing in Python are on the
radar of the group of people responsible for leading the language.  If
you have thoughts on how the wider community can contribute to this sort
of communication in the future, please share.

-Neil