[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] Float32 FFT

Klaus Kopec klaus.kopec at tuebingen.mpg.de
Mon Feb 8 07:40:14 EST 2010

David Cournapeau-3 wrote:

> It is supported in scipy trunk (upcoming 0.8.0). It is transparent, that
> is if your input is single precision, the output is as well.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I think that only fft, but not fftn, is capable of
fixed-point computations. I checked out the current SVN of scipy a couple of
minutes ago, and a simple test with a float32 array as input returned a
complex64 array for fft and a complex128 array for fftn.

I am not sure, whether this is a bug, wrong use by me, or a not yet
implemented feature, as the scipy changelog under
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/milestone/0.8.0 is not very specific: "fft
functions can now handle single precision inputs". 'fft' could refer to ALL
fftpack-functions (=> fftn not doing it would be a bug), or it could really
just mean the 1D ones (=> fixed point would be a missing feature for
N-dimensional FFTs).

Please help me understand this, as I would like to use fftn with fixed
precision as well.

Best regards,
Klaus