[SciPy-User] creating a 3D surface plot from collected data

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:28:25 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 17:20, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 06:13:23PM -0500, Rob Clewley wrote:
>> Yes, David, definitely a 3D surface, so we'll need 3D
>> triangularisation.
>
> I think we are having a communication problem here (but I may be wrong).
> When you say a 3D surface, you mean a 2D surface embedded in a 3D space,
> or a 3D volume? If it is the later, you will need Delaunay3D, as it
> creates volumes. If it is the former, Delaunay2D is what you are looking
> for : it creates 2D surfaces embedded in a 3D world by connecting dots
> with 3D coordinnates using triangles.

No, this is not true. Delaunay2D ignores the Z coordinate and returns
the 2D Delaunay triangulation of just the X,Y coordinates. When you
have an z=f(x,y) functional relationship, this usually does what you
want. It does not solve Rob's problem or that of the OP.

  http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.4/html/a00404.html

Instead, they need the SurfaceReconstructionFilter:

  http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.4/html/a01651.html

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."