[SciPy-User] data smoothing by regularization

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Mon Feb 22 13:00:52 EST 2010

There has been some recent discussions on the list about interpolation
and smoothing.  I have recently implemented a regularization method to
smooth 1-dimensional (y vs. x) data.  Although the method is analogous
to spline-based smoothing that already exists in Scipy and my code is
currently limited to 1D, I have implemented some useful features,
specifically generalized cross-validation for determining the
regularization parameter and the ability to add constraints to the
smooth result.  Would there be enough interest for me to contribute my
code to Scipy?  How would I go about doing so?  Please know that I am
new to the scipy community.

Thanks,
Jonathan

P.S.
For further reading, see:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compchemeng.2009.10.007

If you do not have access to the journal, you may email me offlist.