[SciPy-User] noisy interpolators, smoothers and fitters

denis denis-bz-gg at t-online.de
Thu Feb 25 09:48:29 EST 2010

On Feb 24, 4:11 pm, josef.p... at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a need for expanding this in scipy.interpolate?

Good idea; I'd realy like to see a 1-page overview of "noisy
interpolators smoothers and fitters".
Also how do developers see "state of the scipy interpolate" --
where are we, where's our market, niches vs Matlab / vs R.
A couple of wishes / comments from a nonexpert:

 - need a 1-page overview: the many interpolators
in .interpolate .signals .ndimage are confusing

 - fitpack seems powerful but opaque. projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/
864 a year ago:
    "The documentation for class scipy.interpolate.UnivariateSpline?
is misleading, and maybe completely wrong.
    UnivariateSpline? behaves in ways that are unpredictable ..."
    no followup, tough call: we have it but.

 - avoid methods with hidden parameters and no verbose=1
 - avoid interpolate.Rbf altogether -- very noisy, cf. NR3

> see also offer by Jonathan Stickel which looks useful with
> penalization on derivatives (if my quick reading is correct).

make a scikit ?
I like to see doc *first*
but that's just my preference, grew up on paper doc.

cheers
  -- denis