[SciPy-User] frequency components of a signal buried in a noisy time domain signal

Ivo Maljevic ivo.maljevic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 10:20:34 EST 2010

> I guess we have a minor conflict of definitions. Of course the signal
> you describe is not periodic, but, at least in terms of Fourier
> transforms, you can treat the terms of a sum as completely independent
> signals. So I would view this as simply two exactly periodic signals,
> which you can indeed pull out as two separate peaks in the Fourier
> transform.

You are right. I just checked, and what I was referring to is not known as *
quasi-periodic* signal, it is known as
*almost-periodic*, and it plays a role when you want to discuss power vs.
energy signals.

Therefore, I take back my comment, as I am not familiar with the
quasi-periodic signal definition.
I am certainly familiar with phase noise / frequency error behaviour of
oscillators, but that doesn't matter.

Since you didn't recommend any book, I'll recommend a couple of books to
Nils:

1.
http://www.amazon.com/Discrete-Time-Signal-Processing-2nd-Prentice-Hall/dp/0137549202/ref=pd_sim_b_3

2.