[SciPy-User] ide for numpy?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 09:18:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Dharhas Pothina
<Dharhas.Pothina at twdb.state.tx.us> wrote:

>> Have a look at Spyder. It's Matlab-like and comes with a number of goodies
>> like Pylint integration.
>>
>> Alex
>
> Spyder is definitely worth looking at. I prefer using emacs and ipython for most of what I do but my less technical colleagues have found spyder easier to use. The interface is more matlab like and also it doesn't feel like they are having to muck around in the command line for stuff like changing directories and running scripts etc.

I have been using Spyder for more than a year as my main interactive
shell. The new 2.0 is currently in beta, and has a few problems left,
but looks very good, especially coming from a matlab ide experience.
Now, it also has a ipython shell integrated (with matlab like name
space pollution, "from mlab import *", by default).

I wouldn't recommend eclipse for non-software-developers. I like it to
get around in a package, but I found the views confusing when I
started with it and, the pydev version that I use doesn't come with an
interactive shell.

Otherwise my favorite is IDLE, plain and simple and (almost) no magic.

Josef