[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 12:20:37 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:43 AM, O <mondifero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a recent convert from MatLab.
>
> One thing I miss is the Central File Exchange.  Are there any plans
> to set up a site like this for our community?  It occurs to me this could
> dramatically strengthen our user base.  And by a "Central File Exchange"
> I mean something far simpler and less formal than "SciKits", where users
> can just post their code with some information about how it works.

There are methods available to publish your code more easily than a
scikits, if it's just a single module than the cookbook is a good
location, http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook . For anything larger, setting
up a simple python package for pypi is relatively easy, e.g.
numdifftools which is a translation of the matlab fileexchange program
coauthored jointly with the file exchange author.

The main thing I'm missing compared to the file exchange is the
comment and starring system, which reduces the time to check out a new
package a lot. Also compared to matlab developers, python developers
are often keeping public source control repositories which makes
finding "recipes" easier, but again finding something specific is a
bit of a random search. A good but incomplete overview is in
http://www.scipy.org/Topical_Software

Maybe we could extend the purpose of ask.scipy.org to a package
review/commenting and package "advertising". But I haven't found a
search button on it yet.

Josef